New Years Eve Party + Minute to Win it!

By Meg - 8:53 PM

Have you ever seen Minute to Win it?! It was on TV a few (several?) years ago and now its back on Netflix with some fun games and challenges that you have to complete in one minute. I've always thought it would be fun to try some of these at home so I decided on a whim to pick some out to play for our New Years party.

Now our New Years Eve party sort of progressed into a bigger deal than we originally planned. We were just going to have my parents, siblings, and my grandma who was still in town visiting from Christmas, over for dinner and some games. Thats when I thought it would be fun to do a few Minute to Win it games so I looked some up that we could do with items I had on hand here at the house. I had to work from 1-5:30 so I prepped a baked spaghetti for dinner and was looking forward to a low key evening. Usually when I have people over for dinner (even if its just my family) I get a little intense about making sure things are clean and lovely and perfect. (Type A personality anyone?) But to keep things less stressful for myself I decided to not worry too much about dinner being right on time or having everything ready to go with cute New Years Eve decorations and plans!

While I was at work my "baby" sister Sara asked if her boyfriend Colby could come for dinner too. Of course I said yes! He was more than welcome. And then a little while after that Colby's mom (who is a friend of mine) asked if her little girls (who are friends with Reaghan) could come hang out with Reaghan for a while. I said sure! Reaghan would love it! And then not long after that a couple of Sara's friends wanted to hang out with her and Colby on New Years Eve so their mom (whose another friend of mine) asked if I minded if they came over. I didn't care one bit - but now I needed to make sure my Minute to Win it games we legit and that I had enough for everyone!

I stopped by Walmart Neighborhood Market on the way home from work and grabbed a few more things for the games and also stuff to make another baked spaghetti! This meant the spaghetti's were just getting in the oven when my family showed up and I was still in my work clothes but no one cared. Honestly, I usually would've cared and felt a little frazzled even though it was just my people, but I'm glad I had decided earlier on that it wasn't going to try to make everything perfect.

We all enjoyed dinner and then had a blast playing the games! We didn't keep score or anything, but I think if you wanted to make this into an actual game night you should totally make teams, keep score and have a prize! But either way you should throw a Minute to Win it party because it really was a lot of fun! Here are the games we played!

1.) Movin' on Up! ~ 15 cups of one color and 1 cup of a different color at the bottom of the stack. You had to move the cups from the top to the bottom until the different colored one reached the top and then we handed off to our teammate. This one we were all able to do within the minute mark so maybe adding a few more cups would've been more challenging.



2.) This Blows! ~ We had 8 cups lined up on one side of the island and you had to blow up your balloon and use the air from the balloon to blow the cup all the way off the other side of the table and then the teammate had to line them up and blow them back across. This one was hilarious because once you start laughing its impossible to blow up a balloon and you need to blowing your balloon up to get all the cups across! I was horrible at this game.


3.) Cup Tower! ~ This one is pretty self explanatory. You had to make a cup pyramid and then break it down and then hand off to your teammate to do the same. This one was easier for some than others!


4.) Noodling Around! ~ We used a spaghetti noodle to scoop up penne noodles and drop them in a cup. This one we just played who could get the most in one minute. It was actually pretty hard because any time you exhaled through your nose the spaghetti noodle shook all over the place!



5.) Don't Let the Ball Drop! ~ straight forward again! You had three balloons and you had to keep them all up! Instead of seeing if one person could keep them up for a minute we just played two at a time and who ever dropped theirs first lost. Again, super easy but hilarious.



We had to get the kids involved too so we did a race to see who could eat 2 donuts off of a string first. Not technically a Minute to Win it game, but I didn't feel like buying dozens of donuts for everyone to try to eat X amount of donuts in a certain time. If it dropped off the string you had to eat it off the ground without your hands! (No worries, we put down a clean towel!) Love my sweet grandma holding up the string in this one. 


6.) Hanky Panky - One for my brother who only has use of one hand! You had to pull all of tissues out of a box, one at a time, with one hand, in one minute. The little kids loved this one! (But so did my 27 year old brother!)


7.) Shake Your Tail Feathers! - This one was just for the littles - We used the empty tissue boxes and filled them with cotton balls, tied them around their waists and had them jump around and shake until all of the cotton balls fell out. You're supposed to do this with ping pong balls, but I was trying to use just what we had on hand at home as much as possible. The girls thought it was the best thing ever!  



After the games we had dessert and then did a pretend countdown around 10pm for the kids from Netflix. They got to celebrate with some noise makers and toast some sparkling juice for a bit before everyone headed home! 



The girls went to bed and Mark and I (and my brother Adam who was spending the night with us) stayed up until midnight to ring in the New Year. 


Just living our best lives. Hosting rocking New Years Eve parties for our 4 year old and her friends and my college aged sister and her pals. haha kidding. Sort of. I mean... it is a true statement ;) but we all had a ton of fun. 

Cheers to 2019!

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments