I had my family over this morning - along with all of the little kiddos that my mom and sisters babysit for - and spent the morning making some good old fashioned sugar cookies.
Here's the Cookie Recipe we used today:
2 cups flour
1½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
1 stick butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 Tbsp milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Stir 1½ cups flour with baking powder and salt into a large bowl.
- In another bowl, mix butter with an electric mixer. After the butter has been creamed then go ahead and beat in the sugar, egg, vanilla, and milk. (Using a whisk attachment if its available - I like to use my Kitchen Aid Mixer for this.)
- Slowly stir in the flour mixture until fully blended - then add in the remaining 1/2 cup of flour a little at a time until the dough is thick enough to roll out. Put the dough into the refrigerator and let it chill - 2-3 hours for best result. (Today I was a little late in making the dough so I chilled it in the freezer for about 10 minutes - it worked - but chilling it in the fridge is the best way to go.)
- Roll out dough on a surface that is lightly dusted with powder sugar. (You can use flour but the powdered sugar keeps the cookies sweet. Then cut out your shapes! Make sure not to make them too thick or the shapes will puff up and lose their shape.
- Bake on ungreased cookie sheets for 8 to 10 minutes. Let cool on the sheet for a couple of minutes, then transfer to a rack. Don't transfer too soon or you may cause the cookie to crumble.