Wicked 10k Race! {6 miles at 6 months}

By Meg - 8:00 PM

I made kind of a spur of the moment decision a few weeks ago to run a fun 10k the weekend of Halloween. I hadn't been running very much, so I wasn't sure how much of the 6.2 miles I was going to be able to actually run but there were two girls at work who also wanted to run it while pushing their kiddos in the strollers and they were willing to walk/run it with me so we decided to go for it.

I've run the race a few times pre-baby with Mark and his sister and brother-in-law.

2010 - Redskin vs Cowboys

2011 - Guts!


2012 - Pacman!


It's such a fun race with people dressed up in way crazier costumes than we ever did! 

This year since I was pregnant I searched pinterest for some cute costumes that revolved around the belly and found adorable Mike Wazowski costumes from Monsters Inc. that I thought would be perfect because then I could dress Reag up as Boo.

I went to the craft store and picked up a black tshirt for me and a pink tshirt for Reaghan and then some green, black, white and blue felt.
I found a bowl in my kitchen that somewhat fit around my belly and traced out a circle.

I put the shirt on and tried to mark where I needed to put the green felt circle so that it would be centered on the baby bump and then glued it with craft fabric glue to the shirt.


I ended up cutting angles at the bottom so the shirt fell a little better around my stomach and it ended up working out as the perfect spot for the legs.



For the legs I rolled up a length of felt and secured the roll with the glue to give them form and keep them a little stiffer and then just cut out all of the other pieces for the face and arms.

I was so happy with the way it turned out when I was looking at at it laying on the floor!


But it didn't hug my belly quite as snugly as some of the pictures I had seen on pinterest. 
The felt was a little stiff and the mouth actually busted off when I put it on race day morning so I had to emergency safety pin it back on haha. 
Overall though I was happy with how it turned out and Reaghan looked cute in her oversized tshirt and pig tails to make a sweet Boo. Who wasn't super thrilled to take pictures with me though.



I ended up running WAY more than I anticipated and felt great. We ran the first 3 miles without any walk breaks and then took only a 2-3 more walk breaks the second half of the race.
Not bad for 6 months pregnant eh? AND! I didn't have to stop and pee the entire race! haha That's  pretty significant since sometimes I just sneeze and have to pee.


We call ourselves the Bob Squad. ; )

I was exhausted the rest of the day and so, so sore. Like felt like I had run a marathon sore. 
I think I fell asleep before Reaghan did that night. I was totally bragging to Mark when I got home about how I had run more than I thought I could and how awesome I was haha and then after I got out of the shower I could barely walk. He was real impressed. ; )
I guess 6 miles at 6 months pregnant takes a lot more out of you than I realized.

I'm glad I did it, but I think I'm gonna stick to walks and squats for the rest of the pregnancy!
Already looking forward to my first post-pregnancy race though. : )






  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments