Shaping Up Continued...

By Meg - 9:37 PM

My 7 and 1/2 miles on Wednesday went fantastic! Loved using my new watch to help keep me on pace so that I'm averaging a little under a 10 minute mile... if I'm able to keep that up for another 6 miles I'll be beating a personal record at the Shamrock, so I'm encouraged by that! I just need to stick to my training schedule and make training a top priority. But with that being said, I'm also reminding that physical training and self discipline should not be THE top priority in my life.

As I was having lunch with one of my dearest friends a couple of weeks ago, we were talking about our physical training and she brought up the fact that the time she was taking to shape her physical, temporary body was out weighing the time she spent training her eternal soul so she said she came up with the idea to take a new scripture verse or passage to the pool with her and to meditate and memorize the scripture during her swims.

I immediately thought of the passage in 1 Corinthians:

  "Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize.  Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last, but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. Therefore I do not run like someone running aimlessly..." (1 Cor 9:24-26)

I loved her idea but hadn't put it into practice in my own training. Until now. This need to train my spirit along with my body has been a constant nagging in my mind over the last couple of weeks and I know God is inviting me to spend more time meditating on His Word. Because I don't want to turn down an invitation from my King, I'm going to try memorizing a new passage of scripture on all my long runs. And the first, because I've been struggling with having a true generous spirit, is listed below.

 "One person gives freely, yet gains even more; another withholds unduly, but comes to poverty.
A generous person will prosper; whoever refreshes others will be refreshed.  People curse the one who hoards grain, but they pray God’s blessing on the one who is willing to sell."
Proverbs 11:24-26



This dear friend of mine also has a blog... HopeFilledAbandon. Read and be inspired. :)

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments