I found a way that didn't work!

By Meg - 10:27 PM

Remember how I was all excited to redecorate my hall bathroom? Yea....I was maybe just a tad niave as to how easy that was going to be.


I present to you the problem. You see the people that lived there before us tried to use this special plaster on the wall to make it look... stucco? Maybe they just wanted some texture, I don't know. What I do know is that I don't like it and that its peeling off and leaving a nice white spot as you can see in the picture.



See the "texture" I'm talking about? Its not the style they were going for that bothers me, its that it was poorly done and looks sloppy and unfinished in most places in the bathroom. Since it appeared to be flicking off quite easily (I couldn't help but pick at it everytime I saw it, much to Mark's chagrin) I had the brilliant idea to just scrape all of the yucky plaster off the walls, prime what was underneath and then paint it fresh since it had nice flat plaster job underneath it all.


So in all my first time home owner, DIY bathroom redecorater niavity I decide to get out a putty knife at oh... 9pm on Friday.... thinking that I would have the plaster off the walls in no time.


Unfortunately, this was the outcome of my poor 2 hour attempt to scrape the putty off the walls.....

Thats right. 2 hours later and all I had scraped off was the small piece of wall next to the door. I suppose after working on it for 30 minutes I realized it was going to be harder than I thought and should've stopped then. But something inside of me wanted to keep going! I had convinced myself that I could do it. After an hour, I decided all I wanted to do was finish the section, so once I made that my goal I couldn't stop until I had reached it. Unfortunately, in the long run all my attempt gave me was a sore back, a tight neck and one ugly wall in my bathroom. (That Mark gets the pleasure of living with for the time being... thankfully he said it was okay for me to give it a try!)

So long story short... no new bathroom for me this past weekend. But I did succesfully paint all of the hall way trim, door frames and bedroom doors! Mark hung the bathroom door back up yesterday... I think it was because he didn't want to see the pitiful wall everytime he walked by! Oh well, time to figure out a new way to get that yucky plaster off.... maybe electric sanding?




P.S
79 days to go!

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments