Rotten Bananas

By Meg - 7:50 PM


I love the sight of rotten bananas in the fall. It can mean only one thing - BANANA BREAD!

I know I said I probably wouldn't be posting much cooking stuff after my last post, but this just happens to be a coincidence that I woke up and found rotten bananas on my counter this morning. (I've secretly been waiting for them to get to just the right amount of rottenness!)
      Banana Bread has been my favorite thing to make since I was in middle school. I would practice every time we had rotten banana's in the house growing up until I tweaked and perfected the recipe. I hadn't made it since I've been married so when I bought banana's during this last grocery trip I knew they were going to be for a greater purpose than pre-run snack. 

Disclaimer: This is not super healthy for you and probably packed full of calories!

Step 1: Gather Ingredients
3 cups of sugar
1 cup of oil
4 eggs
3 1/2 cups of flour
2 tsp. of baking soda
1 tsp of cinnamon
2/3 cup water
2 cups of mashed bananas 
(I always end up with a different amount of bananas, depending on how many are rotten that need to be used up, but it pretty much averages around 2 cups)

Step 2: Combine sugar, oil and eggs. It should look like the picture below:


Step 3: In a different bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients:


Step 4: Add Dry ingredients to Egg Mixture and add in your water slowly as you mix all of the ingredients together


Step 5: Once all ingredients have been mixed, take your bananas and mash them up to the consistency you want. Sometimes I'm in the mood for big chunks of banana in the bread and other times I just want it to blend right into the other ingredients. Once its all mashed up, add them to the other ingredients.


Step 6: Grease your pans. Liberally. I use vegetable oil - Like I said, its not healthy but it sure does taste good! Once you've greased your pans, sprinkle a cinnamon/sugar mixture over the bottom of the pan to add some extra flavor. 

Step 7: Poor your batter into the pans and then bake at 325 degrees for about 1 hour.
This recipe makes enough for 3 large loaf pans (about the size of the loaf pan in the picture) but I only happen to have one loaf pan at this time and I thought it would be nice to show that you can mix it up a bit and use this recipe to make it into muffins and coffee cake style and it still tastes great!


I also take the same cinnamon/sugar mixture and sprinkle it on top before putting the pans in the oven.

Step 8: Enjoy the finished product!


And if you have one, share a late night snack with your husband. : )







  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments