Prince Edward Island

By Meg - 8:43 PM

Summer is off to a swinging start around here. We're not even mid-way through June and I feel like I've done so much already! I literally have been gone every weekend (and a whole week at the end of May) since May 23rd.  It might take a while to fill you in on everything, but I'll do my best.

First up? The Prince Edward Island Trip!

In about 16 hours I drove my grandma, cousin Anna, and two sisters up to Massachusetts. Thats right, 16 hours... it was only supposed to take 12! I chose a route that took us through D.C. and New York City, in the rain, during evening rush hours. Not my brightest idea, but on the bright side we got to see some national monuments and my sister got to see the NYC skyline for the first time in her life.
 And we did eventually make to Mass. at about midnight. {I thought my rear end was going to have a permanent cramp from all that sitting... but it seems to have returned to normal :)}


We left early the next morning with my Aunt Linda, Emma, Anna and grandma and headed to Bangor, Maine.


We enjoyed some delicious seafood cuisine at a local restaurant - I had to get some sort of Lobster while I was in Maine! I wasn't brave enough for the whole "animal in a shell that looks like it will come alive any second" type of Lobster dish, but I did get some Lobster pasta. :)





We stayed the night in Maine and then crossed the border into Canada! We drove for about 7 hours through Canadian wilderness until crossing the longest bridge in the world over icy waters on to PEI. The landscape there was somewhat of a dream. So many shades of green contrasting agains the deep red soil. Hills that seemed to roll right into beaches. Farms, that when looking down on them from on top of a hill, appeared so perfect it was as if some one reached down and hand placed the tree lines, houses and gardens. It was breath taking. 

We stayed in a little cottage that was all about Anne of Green Gables. Have you ever read that story? It's fictional, but the writer Lucy M. Montgomery also grew up on PEI and we got to tour many of the places that she lived that inspired the story that us girls loved so much growing up! 

Here are some of my favorite photos from the trip: 

























It was a lovely, lovely trip catching up with my Aunt and Grandma and my two truly beautiful cousins. We always enjoy our time together! I've often pondered what my life would have been like if my mother and her sisters hadn't chosen the paths that they did - having large, homeschooled families. Or if they hadn't made an effort through out all of our growing up years to get us kids together and keep our families close so that we would consider our cousins to be some of our very best friends even into adulthood. What a blessing! 

I got home from my PEI trip on Thursday, May 30th, said hello to my husband after a long week away from him. Then got up Friday the 31st for work, said good bye to my husband and left work at lunch time with some coworkers to head back up North for some more craziness!  

But more on that later. : )


  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments