"Hey pretty girl lets build some dreams..."

By Meg - 9:07 PM

"And a house on a piece of land, we'll plant some roots and some apple trees. Hey pretty girl lets build some dreams..."

Man, I'm loving this song right now by Kip Moore! Especially this line because I feel like it perfectly describes the season of life Mark and I are in - the season of building dreams and planting roots. And actually, it described us literally last week in terms of planting roots, not the apple tree kind of roots but some tree roots none the less!

In my last post I talked about how Mark and I went shopping for trees for our backyard and last weekend we went and brought home 9 pretty trees to line our back fence. We spent what was probably the last warm Saturday of the season cleaning up the backyard and planting trees with the help of my dad and brother.

This is the fence that runs along our back yard. Our yard is more long than deep so we had a good expanse to fill in to help give us some privacy. The trees in the picture below are our baby "Dahoons"... they got dropped off first that morning...


I love my baby Dahoons.



Mark and my dad worked hard all morning to dig the holes...



 They even re-dug two holes at my request because the trees were lining up uneven... Thanks guys!


And of course Pipes did the best she could to help with digging...



A dirty dog is a happy dog - at least for this crazy pup. 


Adam helped out by getting and keeping a fire going to burn all of the branches we had laying around...


eve though Piper was a little disappointed that Adam was burning all of "her" sticks...


Careful with my Dahoon boys! Put her in nice and easy... and straight!...



After the trees were in the ground we used a hose to make an outline for the garden bed...



After we lined the garden I used an edger to create a groove in the ground which we then finished off with shovels to make the bed more defined. {I did help dig a hole too, so don't think the boys did all of the work ;)}


Unfortunately, after all of the trees had been planted, and most of the tools had been put away, I was finishing up digging the garden bed trench around the last tree when this happened....


Yup, you guessed it... that would be our internet cable. The menfolk managed to dig 9 holes, that were about 2-3 feet deep each, without hitting a single thing and I chop a cable line digging a 6 inch trench. Way to go Meg, way to go. Maybe I should've let the guys do all of the work. 
Because that ...^... led to this...


... A call to Verizon which then lead to no internet for the rest of the weekend. I'm so glad my husband is very patient with me :) He could've been upset, since he was supposed to work from home come Monday morning, which of course requires internet... but he just shrugged it off.  But of course poked fun at me for hitting something right when we were about to be completely finished with the project. 
He's a good man. :)

Ooh! I forgot about this baby Lugustrum... We are thinking about starting a hedge along this side of our side fence as well, but we are going to start with just one tree in the corner to see how it looks for now.


 And here it is! The "After" Picture of the back fence. Apparently it will take a good 3 years before they really take off "1st year they sleep, 2nd year they creep, 3rd year they leap" is what we were told. I can't wait until they are taller than the fence but I already love the landscaping appeal that they add to the back yard. Next step will be mulching the flower bed and maybe planting some flowers, although I think those 2 things probably won't happen until spring. 

While we were showering and cleaning up Mark got a phone call from his sister and her husband saying they had just gotten 2 extra free tickets to the ODU football game (Mark's alma mater) and asked if we wanted to join them. Free football? Um yes please! So we ended the day enjoying a great game of football, ODU even showed up and pulled out a win for us! Which is way more than I can say for the Redskins this season...











  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments