4/16/2007 & 4/15/2013

By Meg - 8:21 PM

Six years ago today was a chilly spring day, a little overcast and drizzling. I stood on a small church field, surrounded by soccer balls and teammates for what was supposed to be an ordinary practice. Unfortunately that day will be engraved in my heart and mind forever. My coach received a phone call that informed her there had been a mass shooting at Virginia Tech and one of our former teammates and a fellow church member and close friend to many of the girls on the team had not been contacted yet. She was attending Virginia Tech and no one had been able to reach her since the horrific shootings had started. I remember huddling on the steps of the church where we had been practicing, trying to get out of the rain while we figured out what exactly was going on.

We assured ourselves that Lauren was okay, and that most likely she hadn't been able to contact anyone because the campus was on lock-down, cell phone service was sketchy because of the thousands of calls going out, maybe she couldn't get to her phone...etc. But we ended practice early none-the-less so that the girls who knew her the most could return to their families and be sure not to miss any news.

It seems like only yesterday when my mom walked in to the kitchen where I was putting away groceries only hours later and informed me that Lauren had in fact been a victim of the shooting. I can remember that moment so vividly. 

Lauren is now with her Savior. Our worst case scenario when thinking of her that day was really her best case scenario... She got to go HOME. Her testimony of how she loved the Lord and longed to be with Him lives on to this day. 4/16/07 will always be a day that I stop and remember her testimony and her legacy, as well as her family and close friends who miss her dearly. I will neVer forgeT

While I know even in troubles that our God is our Protector and our Shield, the trials of this world still make my heart heavy. In light of the recent tragic bombings during the Boston marathon yesterday, I am heart broken over the sin and absence of God in our country. The senseless violence and lack of respect for human life is wearisome. The world groans as if in the beginning of labor pains at the Godlessness.

But I know in all things we have hope.

I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
John 16:33

Many prayers for the families affected the by VT tragedy 6 years ago, and for the ones hurt by yesterday's devastating bombing in Boston.


  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments