Whole30: Week 3

By Meg - 7:53 PM

I'm going to come right out and say it. I cheated this week. Actually, I cheated a lot. I had a chic fil a grilled chicken sandwich on Friday and then today we were invited to lunch with my family and dinner with Mark's family so I had spaghetti for lunch and a hot dog for dinner. And cookie dough. And also a brownie. Ha. Soooo.... What now?


Well first, I'm going to give reasons excuses for my cheats.

We've had a very depressing, stressful week. Reaghan had a fever and an ear infection that is still on going which means I'm getting next to no sleep and she is not the happiest tiny person to be around during the day. Mark and I also caught her cold so that has been adding to the general crankiness in the house right now. We spent $$$ at the vet on our dog who has a "suspicious" lump on her leg so she was put on medicine that is making her have to pee every 15 minutes and have accidents if left alone too long and has to go back to the vet in 2 weeks for a re-check. And worst of all my sister received the worstt news possible for her right now - that her baby had stopped growing and they couldn't find a heartbeat.

Why am I sharing? Honestly... it makes me feel better about cheating. I'm not really proud of my decision but when I think back on my week... well, I'm not holding myself to too high of a standard. I was stressed and sad and exhausted and didn't want to think about new recipes or cooking.

Soooo... What now?

I learned that I absolutely use food as a comforter; a way to check out of reality for a second or too and make me feel better for the few minutes that I consume delicious food. One of the things Whole30 is supposed to do is break you of these unhealthy relationships we have with food, so by giving in to the cravings for comfort food, I sort of defeated the purpose of the whole process.

I guess I have 2 options - just end the Whole30 now and be happy with the 20 days that I did complete, or jump back in and finish my LAST week strong. I'm going to go with the latter. I honestly just want to quit, but I don't want to let lousy decisions send me on a downward spiral.

Okay - with that out of the way - I did make it 5/7 days this week without cheating so here were some of my favorite meals of the week:

Banana Pancakes
(Again!)



These turned out a little prettier this time - again its 2 eggs, 1 banana, a dash of baking soda and 1/4 cup almond meal. The flipping part of the cooking is tricky, but doable. So yummy with a slice of banana with each bite.

Carne Asada:


Check out the recipe here. It was supposed to be paired with an Avocado/Tomatillo sauce and I bought the tomatillos only to find out that I had eaten all my avocados when I went to make the sauce. It tasted great just with the marinade and a side of steamed veggies.

Eggs, Apples with Almond Butter and Blueberries:


This has been a breakfast and a dinner for me! 

Chicken with Stir Fry Veggies:


Nothing about this is really "stir fry" except that the frozen bag of mixed veggies are supposed to be perfect for using in a stir fry. It had snap peas, broccoli, mushrooms, onions, red peppers and carrots. The chicken was pre-cooked so I just heated it up in coconut oil in a skillet and mixed with the veggies. This was a quick dinner because I was headed out to watch my lil bro and sis play basketball. Mark stayed home with the sickness. 

Taco Salad:


Ignore the cracker on my plate, that was gift from Reaghan. She loves to share her food with mommy.  This was pre-cheat so I didn't eat it, it just hid on my plate. ; )
If you want to make your own taco seasoning, check out my post here.

Banana "Bread":


One guideline of the Whole30 is that you're not supposed to try and find substitutes for your favorite things and just wholethirtyfy them because this just continues to feed your sweet cravings and doesn't help with re-wiring your brain. At this point in the week I was desperately looking for comfort food while trying to stay compliant so I found this recipe and went for it. It actually looks a lot better than it tasted. The recipe calls for coconut flour and I'm just not a big fan of the taste. However, with that being said, I consumed the entire loaf in 2 days. (I did not put butter on it.)

And I had some fun finds at TJMaxx...




All of these were Whole30 Compliant and a nice change of pace as far as snacking goes.
I'm a huge snacker.

And that was week 3. Praying for motivation to finish strong and to keep my eyes on Him as a source of comfort and not food. : ) Also praying for a healthy family and a healthy dog and more sleep for everyone!

 


(Also - weigh in - still at 148. I was 147.5 Saturday morning before my big Sunday cheat meals. I was only able to workout 3 times this week and didn't get a long run in.)







  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments