Sunday Breakfast

By Meg - 3:03 PM

The bad thing about having a puppy? She wakes you up between 6:30 and 7 on the weekends.

The good thing about having a puppy? She wakes you up between 6:30 and 7 on the weekends!

I'm so much more productive on Saturday and Sundays now that I have no choice but to wake up and get my day started.

For instance, I even had time to make Mark and I breakfast this morning before we got ready for church. Normally on Sundays we would try to sleep in until the last possible minute... leaving us just enough time to get ready and then out the door. Now that we have little miss Piper we have some breathing room, and I have to say it is much more enjoyable that way. We are less rushed, more relaxed and more focused when we get to church. There are less opportunities for Satan to rear his ugly head and create conflict. Not to mention we actually arrive to church on time!

Today I made one of Mark's favorites so I thought I'd share it on here. It's pretty easy and not real healthy, but its delicious! It's actually something my mom made for my siblings and I growing up that I introduced to Mark when we got married.

What you need: 

Vegetable oil, Frying pan, Pilsbury biscuits (today I used the flaky kind) and a cinnamon/sugar mixture.

What you do:

Poor the oil in the frying pan and heat on medium. To be honest, I never measure the oil and I'm still struggling with the right temperature to heat my oil. This morning I got it way to hot at first. Luckily I tested it with a small piece of dough and realized the outside browned in seconds leaving the inside still doughy and mushy. (yuck). So I had to cool it down a little before I made the donuts, then it got too cool and my first donut tasted a little too saturated with oil. I finally decided to look it up and found a good way to test the heat of your oil is stick the end of a wooden spoon in it. You can tell how hot it is by how fast bubbles form around the end of the spoon. (Cooking with hot oil can very dangerous if you are not careful. If it over heats the oil will "pop" and it will burn if drops of oil land you!)




Take the dough out of the Pilsbury can and find a small round object (lid, end of a baster, etc.) and cut out a small hole in the biscuit.


Place the dough carefully in the oil. You have to keep an eye on it and flip the donuts when you it looks like they begin to brown on the bottom.
They should be a nice golden color when you pull them out.
(Being very careful not to let the oil "pop" you.)


You can also use the cut outs from the donuts to make little donut holes. I probably like the little holes more than the actual donuts! I'm a fan of bite size food. : )


After you pull them out of the oil place them on a plate that is lined with paper towels to soak up the extra oil. While they lay there go ahead and sprinkle the cinnamon sugar mixture on there, making sure to get it on both sides.

Finished product:






  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments