21 Day Sugar Detox + Apple Streusel Egg Muffins

By Meg - 8:15 PM

Okay guys, I wasn't sure if I was going to share this one here or not because I'll admit that every once in a while I like to jump on some crazy "cleanse" or "detox" band wagon and try to lose some weight and feel like I'm getting all of the yuckiness out of my body...Unfortunately it doesn't usually work and I never really feel any different. But this time I have sort of a different goal in mind so I figured I'd give myself some accountability for sticking with this thing. I just started Day 1 of the 21 Day Sugar Detox.

Yes it is called the a sugar "detox" and yes I would love to lose a little poundage in the process, but after I read up on it I realized its probably something I should be doing anyways! It basically has you avoid all processed foods and sugar like the plague (including sugary carbs - and man do I love my carbs!) and it is Paleo based. If you've never heard of a Paleo diet, it's a school of thought that pretty much says if it didn't exist 3,000 years ago you shouldn't eat it. I don't necessarily agree with all of the Paleo diet and I am by no means an expert on nutrition, but I do like the idea of getting back to whole, natural foods! So that's why I'm doing the 21DSD. I'm hoping to curb my sugar cravings a bit and learn new ways to cook veggies and meat using natural ingredients and not a seasoning packet that has a bazillion ingredients that I can't even pronounce... you know? I know after the 21 Days I'll be looking forward to having some Papa Johns pizza, so I'm not trying to change my entire lifestyle forever through this, I'm just hoping to tip the scale on the side of "we eat natural foods 80% of the time and other foods 20% of the time" instead of the other way around.



So how did I do today? Well, let me tell you I had an 11.5 hour work day today so I was pretty hungry and wanted to munch on some chips or cookies when I got home! But I stayed strong. (its not a good sign if you give up on the first day!) As soon as I got home I pulled out a recipe for apple muffins and got those in the oven right away - I had one for a snack with some whole milk and plan on using them as my breakfast muffins for the rest of the week.


Here is the link: Apple Streusel Egg Muffins They actually turned out way better than I thought, though they mostly tasted like egg ; ) I love my yummy, fattening carbs and pastries so I was afraid I would hate them since it wasn't made with what I know as "real" flour and sugar but I enjoyed my snack!

I'll try and keep you updated on new recipes I'm trying and if they turned out good or completely retched. I have a few planned that I'm a little scared to try! And my husband isn't exactly oozing with enthusiasm over this change in diet for the next 3 weeks, so I may need to have a few back up plans for him. I'm married to a man who doesn't like and barely eats about 98% of all fruits and veggies out there... so maybe this will help encourage a love - no like, love is too strong of a word just yet - for fruits and veggies???

Whatever the case....here's to 21 days of eating healthier!



  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments