Happy Thanksgiving! + Holiday Table DIY

By Meg - 10:44 AM

Happy Thanksgiving! I hope you are able to enjoy time with your family and friends today to celebrate all that we have been blessed with. Today at the Poindexter house we have much to be grateful for - I've been sharing many of these things during the 30 Days of Thanks posts this month - but I know the 1 thing that is high on our list that always sparks gratitude is that we serve a Great God! No matter our circumstances, this will never change. Amen? Amen.

I am so excited to be hosting my family for Thanksgiving this year. I already have the Turkey in the oven and many other food dished prepped and ready to go. My family will be coming over at 4:30 to eat, since we are headed to Mark's family first! (Here's to hoping my Turkey will be okay while we are gone!)

Since we are having everyone over we had to modify our kitchen table. There just wasn't any way to fit everybody at our skinny table - we could maybe squeeze in 8 people but it would be tight and there really wouldn't be any room for food.

This is what it looks like normally:


Here's what we did to make it bigger:


Basically we bought two pieces of plywood, my man then secured them together and then screwed "braces" on the bottom to make sure it wouldn't slide off the old table. The plywood can definitely scratch your table top; we weren't concerned because our table is already old and pretty dinged up, but if we had done this with a nicer table I would've definitely laid down a blanket or something to go between the table and plywood. 

Heres how it looks from underneath:




The braces were placed to fit snugly around the edges of the table, on the sides and the rounded corners.




Now we can fit 3 on either side very easily! This picture only shows 2 chairs each because I hadn't gotten the extras from my mom yet.


This one has the fish bowl effect of the panorama shot, but it gives you an idea of how it looks in our dining room. Our dining room is a good size but not large by any means. Thankfully there is still plenty of room to get around even with the increased table size.



And here is the table all set and ready to go! I can't wait to have my family gathered around, everyone at the SAME table and plenty of room for the food too!


  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments